Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Positive of Purpose

It's been a while since I've posted to this blog. I've had lots of ideas, I even started keeping a writer's notebook for blogging. As others can sympathize, life got in the way.
Or maybe I'm in a desert of positive professional energy lately.

That changed last night and I'm awake at 4 a.m. reflecting on the why.

Why did a 3 hour(ish) meeting in an unfamiliar role with strangers leave me energized, filled, and my brain hopping with ideas?

Several thoughts:


  • All members inherently acknowledged the value of multiple opinions, viewpoints, and ideas of the entire group. There were no formal "norms", we didn't have the "7P's of Collaboration" posted anywhere, we didn't "acknowledge & advocate". We just recognized that we were teachers all moving toward a purpose.

  • We had an agenda (not complicated - only 7 lines) that kept us focused, on-track, and purposeful.

  • We affirmed the gifts and talents of others as we divvied up/and volunteered for tasks to get the job done.

  • We were clear about deadlines for specific tasks. We just expected that each person would step up, but I also knew everyone in the group had my back if I need it.

  • The experienced members helped the newbies, answered questions with compassion, and supported others with "just send me an email & I'll help you with that."

There's positive energy in purposeful work. I am energized by working, thinking, learning, doing. I walked away with a "ready-to-go" attitude which is rare after meetings.


So, I want to say "thank you" to the Board members of JCIRA.


1 comment:

  1. Tami, I am so glad you left feeling this way! You bring great energy to the group yourself! Thanks so much for stepping up to be a part of the board. I knew we would value your tech and literacy expertise, as well as your spirit of collaboration and hard work.

    ReplyDelete